Tel: +44 1903 209367
Mobile: +44 7802 651892
|Main Information Help Links Maritime Personal Small print|
Backups in a nutshell
You can read all of the detailed notes on backups here, but below are the salient points:
• There will come a time when you lose valuable data.
• Backups are safety copies of your files that let you retrieve them after that loss.
• There are many and various ways to do backups.
• With a backup strategy, you can keep all of your eggs in several baskets at once.
• Just one additional copy of your vital data is good, but a real backup strategy involves a minimum of two additional copies.
• If it is in the same building as the computer it isn't a backup.
• A data integity system (such as RAID, or off-site mirroring) is not a backup – it’s an effective way of setting your mistakes in stone.
• Cloud Storage is very useful, but clouds evaporate.
• Do you want your data stored on someone else’s computer?